Wednesday, January 31, 2007

When it rains sometimes it snows.


This is the current Doppler radar. See the white? Ordinarily I'd be thrilled, ecstatic even at the prospect of snow but today is not my day for it . Mostly because all that pretty white is forecast to turn ugly pink over night.
This brings every Arkansas to a single question, "Where were you during the 1999 Christmas ice storm?"
I was at my parent's house watching Katie repeatedly fall down in the middle of our street while we were watching the tree branches begin to break in our neighborhood. My dad lives in old Conway, otherwise known as the land of the killer trees (see http://musicfangirl.blogspot.com/2006/08/killer-trees.html), so the destruction was terrible and total. We had no power for ten days, it took three just to remove enough trees from a yard that we could get out of our driveway. It was cold and dark and I learned that I really depend on cable television and the Internet. I also learned that when you HAVE to shower by candle light it quickly loses all of it's charm.
So here we are again. The Weather Channel is calling for a 70% chance of freezing rain/rain over night and into tomorrow. I'm not excited. I don't mind cold, I don't mind snow. In fact, I LOVE snow, it reminds me of being a kid growing up in Littleton Colorado. This crap with the ice...not so fun.
I'm back to watching the local weather. Good luck all, I hope none of you lose power, that none of you have to drive, and that none of you have any need to go to Wal-Mart tonight as we all know it will be packed with panicked people buying up all the bread and milk.

1 comment:

McDreamy said...

i laughed out loud when i saw your map! matt keeps noaa's forcast on our 'puter the whole time he's home. that man loves some snow! i hate the cold. i could sleep right through winter. ugh. i do love to see the joy of snow on matt's and the kiddos' faces and i will admit there's nothing like the smell late at night after the snow comes. i may have to post and tell what i was doing during the ice storm of 2000 - not as bad as 99's (we were in mississippi and missed that one), but 2000 was pretty crazy for us!