Wednesday, January 24, 2007

we started recreational. it ended kinda medical.

Last night I watched American Idol while I wrote. I don't usually watch it, in fact other than a few episodes of the "audition" stage I've never actually seen the show. There are reasons, mainly I hate "reality" tv and add that to the fact that I listen to almost no mainstream music anymore I'm just not all that interested. Last night, however, I was too lazy to untangle the wires to my earphones so I could listen to my ipod and I was waiting for the Australian Open to come on.

I also did such exciting things as fold laundry and iron clothing so Chris and I didn't have to come to work naked. It really makes me wonder when I settled into being so old. I'm pretty sure there was a time when I was fun and had endless amounts of energy that I squandered away. Most nights I look back on my "wild" years and wonder if what I remember of them is true or if it's all an alcohol-laden hallucination. Seems like I danced a lot and mostly had fun.

Now going out for the evening with girlfriends takes weeks of careful planning and juggling schedules. We never just call each other on a Saturday afternoon and set vague plans such as, "Hey, let's go out somewhere. Pick me up around nine."

Nine? That's when I'm ENDING my nights out now.

So, I'm trying to remind myself why it's good that I'm older. Stable job, decent income, terrific boyfriend, a nice car, a nice house, money to go out when I want....oh damn. Maybe it's time to save up and travel, go overseas, get a terrible photo to use for a passport. Maybe I'll go visit Dan (who lives in the Philippines now).

Hmm...maybe I'll finish my book first.

Maybe.

1 comment:

McDreamy said...

this one makes me feel so much better. i thought i got so old by having so many kids that put the damper on. reading this makes me think maybe we're all just getting old and it's inevitable.

see, don't you feel better already?! ;)