Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It's Only Rock and Roll but I Like It.


"Rock and roll means well, but it can't help tellin' young boys lies."
-"Marry Me", Drive-By Truckers



I am not a video game player. I have no hand-eye coordination and tend to panic when something unexpected pops up on the screen. Despite being born smack in the midst of the video game generation I'm pretty much a failure at actually playing them.

That is, until now. Meet "Guitar Hero II". It is played with a real faux-guitar (see photo above), sort of an interactive game where you score extra points for doing "rock star" moved with your faux-guitar. It is seriously fun. I have played until my finger on my left hand has literally gone numb...which is a problem I plan of consulting my physician about.

I'm not saying I'm gifted at this game, I'm just saying it's fun. You stand up and follow the "notes" on the tv screen and its work, you will actually sweat playing this. Other people actually enjoy watching you play, unlike all those mindless first person shooter games. It's just fun.

Even more excited than I am about "Guitar Hero" is how excited I am about the Wii. Hopefully we will have one this weekend and it is so similarly interactive I know I will enjoy playing it. Sure, I'll never be good at "Super Mario Brothers", but I can play the guitar so who cares.

No comments: