Monday, January 08, 2007

Bright Copper Kettles


We had a kettle; we let it leak:
Our not repairing made it worse.
We haven't had any tea for a week...
The bottom is out of the Universe.
-Rudyard Kipling

We do things for comfort. Seek the arms of a loved one, call a friend or sibling, shed our clothing for the solace of a bathtub full of bubbles, and drink. I suppose I do a little of all of these things, but my emotional crutch is a cup of hot tea.
I moved from coffee to tea due to health reasons originally, in a foot-dragging self-pitying sort of way. I would walk by a co worker's desk and smell their coffee and fall into a bout of longing and sorrow for my missed caffeine and rich coffee goodness. I would walk by the Starbucks in Target and sigh, thinking of the Pumpkin Spice Latte I so badly wanted.
Then, I got onto my organic kick. I told myself that recycling everything in my house wasn't ecological friendly enough, that there had to be more. While wandering the isles of my local Wal-Mart looking for the little green "organic!" tags I found tea. I bought it, brought it home and brewed a cup for work the next morning.
Now I use tea for a little boost in the morning, as a soother in the evening, as a source of warmth (should we ever experience cold weather). I've found my favorite is traditional black tea blends, the herbals and green tea not particularly to my liking. My current favorite is Tazo Awake!
Now, if I can only stick for a few days to my diet...

No comments: