Sunday, August 06, 2006

Rain in August.

Here's to rain in August.

When it's 100 degrees even the tiniest rain shower seems like a blessing from nature. I stood out in my carport and let the brief coolness of the air, the whipping wind, and the mist blowing in from the pouring rain wash over me. Thunder so loud it reverberated in my chest. Sometimes there are moments that remind you that there are simple things that refresh the mind and soul.
Now the storm moves off to the southwest and the rumble of thunder makes me smile. Sure it's only the sixth of August in Arkansas. Sure there are six more weeks of guaranteed misery ahead. But for five minutes on my carport I dreamed of football games and orange leaves and Halloween. Today that will have to be enough.

2 comments:

McDreamy said...

oh! i love the rain, too. i love how it blows in, the fury of the storm while it's here and the smell and the color afterwards. it missed us this week. maybe soon...

Lou Arnold said...

Rain is such a blessing in Arkansas. Well at least until it is over and it is hotter than it was before.

By the way, I like the new look.