Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Blending In


Did you know that chameleons do not change color to blend into their surrounding but to show emotion? When a chameleon changes color they are more likely to stick out from their surroundings than to fade into them. The color changes are due to a close relationship between their hormones and emotion.
This bit of interesting information, thanks to NPR, made me think how like chameleons women are. We also tend to change color depending on our moods and emotions.
Okay, so we have help ala Maybeline and Clinique, but still the theory is similar. Take lipstick, for instance.
On most days I wear scrubs to work and therefore skip lipstick altogether and opt for Burt's Beeswax instead. Say, however, I feel good one morning, like the sun is shining just for me. Most likely, I'll wear a bit of mascara and a sheer lipgloss. See, happy but not exactly trying to get attention.
Now, say it's a Friday night and Murray has decided to skip playing cards with the boys and take me out somewhere nice. Ah, time to break out the real lipstick, that beautiful brownish-red I spent too much for at Dillard's considering I never wear it. See, I'm excited, maybe feeling a little romantic and therefore I put on my brighter color to attract attention.
Today I'm blending in with the scenery, which I suppose means I'm at a level emotional state. Or maybe it means that it is wickedly hot and I'd rather be at the pool. Either way, for today I'm a calm chameleon. Maybe tomorrow will be exciting enough for lipgloss...

1 comment:

McDreamy said...

i love it! this post makes me smile. and want to examine me a little more!! thanks for the pick-me-up!