Friday, May 04, 2007

I Was Chewing Gum for Something to Do.


"A headache is to a migraine like a bruised thigh is to a compound fracture of the femur."
-Me, talking to my mom.


I have been reluctant to discuss the migraine issue on my blog. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that I work in a medical office and grow weary of discussing anything medical in nature. Added to that was my mostly insane idea that I was so tough that I could ignore them and they would go away. They didn't.

Once, my senior year of high school I had a single migraine that ended with me in the emergency room and lots of Demerol. After that incident I went over a decade without another, in fact I only very rarely had any headaches at all even the more benign versions. Then a year ago I had another. The migraines came sporadically at first then with alarming regularity. Then came what what diagnosed as "cluster migraines", meaning for a week I'd have them every day at the same time of day.

I saw my doctor and we set out a plan. I've been taking an old anti-depressant, amitriptyline, for six weeks now to combat "neurological pain". It works. I've had a couple very minor migraines but none of the debilitating, nausea inducing ones. I've become cautiously optimistic. I feel like a normal person again.

Well...as normal as I've ever been.

1 comment:

McDreamy said...

i'm sorry about your headaches, woman. mine vanished too for several years now. i hope they don't recur like yours have. i hope yours go away again soon. it sucks.